Skip to main content

MISS FORSTER

Just finished week one with the little angels! Honestly its hard to put into words everything that we've been doing down here because it's so much. I can say this much, however: I literally laugh constantly with my students. They are honest, funny and real. They say what they're thinking and they mean what they say. They work so hard and make me so proud every single day! It amazes me the amount of effort they're giving so that they can be ready to go to second grade and eventually "play college sports" or just go to college in general!

 So here's a little pic update, maybe interspersed with some hilarious 6 year old stories (if you're lucky):

 Our 2nd grade teaching team! 
From left to right, Ms Karpilo, Ms Forster and Ms Delgato
I'm the luckiest because these two ladies are so great to work with and I'm learning so much from them!


These pictures were taken at our community night (pizza with parents) at West Bolivar!

These posters are all over the school. A daily reminder of why we're all here, even when we're going on about 3 hours of sleep and have 3 lesson plans due that we didn't start writing until 11pm..

My corps member advisor made these clipboards for all of us! She's the best! (Shout out to Lis if she reads this--thanks for all of your hard work helping us to become better teachers!)

We're still working on articulating our answers. But I must be doing well since they know that it's math!...lolz, they are literally the cutest and their brains are growing SO MUCH BIGGER ALREADY!! (that's what we tell them every day, and sometimes when things get tough one of them will look at me and say "my brain is getting SO BIG" while doing a little brain exploding motion with their hands...THAT'S WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT.

Funny (and eye-opening) story from Friday:
We're sitting in small groups working on reading and one of my students turns to me and says "Miss Forsta, my daddy say when he get a lotta money he finna buy a PAKOOTER!" [computer]
To which another student responds "It's COM-POO-DA" and they proceeded to practice saying "computer" together, never quite saying it correctly. "COM-PEW-DUH" etc. I literally just sat back and watched the interaction take place because there was nothing of substance I could even contribute besides "He's going to buy a computer?" because they were so into the conversation with each other. 
(and also very eye opening to realize most of my students don't have computers in their homes, since neither of these two did)

Oh and at the end of the day we had reached 25 class points which meant they got a reward, and they love class dance parties, so we were about to have a class dance party when X'Zavier stands up and says "CAN WE DO THE STANKY LEG?" and busts out into the song while doing the stanky leg next to his desk. This, of course, dominos into every single student in our class up doing the stanky leg, including our newest student, Samyrah, absolutely busting it out on the dance floor with her hand on her head and her booty poppin.

TEACHING IS LITERALLY THE BEST JOB EVER.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE