Skip to main content

Begin Week 2: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Dear Loyal Listeners,

Sorry these blog posts aren't funny yet. Turns out there's a lot of serious business when you're in the position of getting 9 almost-second-graders ready to enter second grade when some of them are still doing reading and math at a pre-primary level. It's a huge job, actually. It's unbelievably daunting. 9 students, 3 adults, 1 month to conquer this b-word called the achievement gap. NOT COOL, EDUCATION SYSTEM.

But in the meantime, when we're not working on lesson planning, building classroom culture, learning how to teach (it's good review for me, it really is), practicing behavior management (explicit directions, narrate behaviors "Kenderrius is showing me he's ready to go by having his hands in his pockets and his voice turned off, Lisbeth has her hands in her pockets and is facing forward, I see that X'Zavier is showing me he's ready to go by having his hands in his pockets and his body facing forward...," and corrective feedback "Kieveon, I need your eyes on me and your voice to be turned off as we're walking in the hallways..."), and making posters and visuals and manipulatives (I just spent almost an hour making cut outs of pictures of my brother age 1-18 to teach about breaking down teen numbers tomorrow).....we are actually having some fun! REALLY!

On Friday night we had "Catfish on the Quad" (don't worry, veggie options were available) with all of the people staying at Delta State over the summer. There was music, unlimited beer (that's right gusties, FREE UNLIMITED BEER, now everybody send in a comment card to the dean of students at good old GAC and tell them how they do it in Mississippi..), hotties driving golf carts (and my future colleague happens to be fearless when it comes to asking for more beer and rides..), and good people. It was a great way to start my first weekend here!

The three of us in the  picture above will be teaching together at Sanders Elementary School in Hollandale, MS for the next two years! (Kasondra, Katie, ME)

So we go to the beer table thinking we'll grab a couple more for our friends who are saving our seats...;)....but this little lady in the red dress (again, fearless, not like me AT ALL) thinks its funny to say "Excuse me sir, can she actually have four more beers? Oh, I'll take for more too if that's alright, please" in the most genuine way...and eventually we're each carrying six beers back to the table to "share with friends." We got lots of looks. I gave lots of winks. Because I think I'm hilarious.


So, then, SATURDAY, we had quite the agenda as well.
Katie and I laid out and tanned for an hour (it worked, I'm burnt). Then I did some lesson planning and napped (I AM JUST PLAIN POOPED) and then we went to the beautiful town of Winstonville for a community barbeque hosted by the mayor just for Mississippi TFA members!
On our drive there, we saw almost every field being burned like this. Quite the sight.

Winstonville Firetrucks turned Vintage (dangerous) ART,

Rides on the merry-go-round.

Winstonville, Mississippi. Population: 600. Cops? No. Says Larry, age 50, "We just take care of things by ourselves around here."

More merry-go-rounds.

Classy ladies on the seesaws.

WAAHOOOO

BEAUTIFUL. (photo cred: Katie)

SUNDAY=WORK WORK WORK ALL DAY and a nice lunch with a fellow gustie grad who's down here in the Delta. :)

MONDAY(today): First full day of teaching with the kiddos. They're great. We did pre-assessments and got to know the kids and I just can't wait for the next four weeks with them.
Tonight I decided to go to the meeting of this singer/songwriter club of TFA members who meet every week. Basically some people came with guitars, we sat around a piano and we just jammed for an hour and a half. It was beautiful and was EXACTLY what I needed in the midst of all of this chaos and stress.




And now it's 10pm and I've written 0/3 lesson plans that are due tomorrow. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE