Skip to main content

Back to dorm life.

I was under the impression that I'd graduated college and moved into the adult world as of last Sunday...but I was totally wrong. Though I technically have an Bachelors Degree...homegirl's back in the dorm life. After a year of living in my OWN room, with a BEAUTIFUL, COMFORTABLE, BIG BED (in my own room, did I mention that?), I'm back to the freshman dorm with a mattress that squeals when I move and keeps me up at night thinking I'm sliding off of it (because it's got that water proof exterior...you know...darn college kids and their crazy antics...).

So that's nice. The good thing is my roommate is SO NICE, and in reality I'm never in my room because we are GO GO GO just all the time. It's day three and it feels like I've been here a month. We get up at 5:00, go to breakfast, hop a bus, go to school and learn and lesson plan and discuss and eat packed lunches until 5:30...and then we go to dinner. And then we lesson plan more. And then we work out (I'm off to pilates now!) and then we sleep. So I sleep in my dorm. That's about it.

Here are some pics:

 I packed everything I'd need for the next five or so weeks in these two bags. No, I don't know how I did it.

 So back in the dorm days (aka junior  year of college) I had this terrible habit of leaving my keys in my door after I unlocked it. It's back. Old habits don't die, turns out.
DELTA STATE!

FEAR THE OKRA.

My beautiful dorm. Cleanest room I'll ever have, probably, mostly because I DON'T HAVE ANY THINGS. I bought that nice leopard print blanket at Walmart last night because it was the cheapest one they had that wasn't totally and completely hideous. So I'd say, why yes, I AM maturing quite well.

This is my drive to West Bolivar, Mississippi! It's about 20 minutes away from Cleveland and is where I will be teaching 9 beautiful entering-2nd graders for summer school for the next month.
((Looks just like Minnesota, right??..OH WAIT. IT'S 95 DEGREES HERE..#suckstosuck))


So aside from the few pics I've actually taken, here are some things that have been happening in the past three days:

1. I've made friends! The girls I'll be teaching with in Hollandale are AWESOME and HILARIOUS and we just fake did pilates together for like 45 minutes (mostly we laughed and Katie taught us some "balance technique" which involved her laying on my yoga mat and having us walk on her back for "balance practice").  Plus I've met some people who are at my summer teaching site, and some people the good old fashioned "channel Nicole Zibolski" way where I force myself upon them in the cafeteria. It's been good.

2. I've spent countless hours learning TFA's way to write lesson plans which is totally different from anything I've done, even though the content is the same. Once I got past the new format, though, I felt fine. It's actually a great refresher of classroom techniques and strategies and being with hundreds of new teachers is opening my eyes up to so many different ideas!

3. I've been eating caf food again, and it's buffet style. Ha. And some people thought I'd starve.

4. That's pretty much it. I'll take some pics of this beautiful area once I actually have some free time to breathe!

Tomorrow is our last day of learning before our KIDDOS COME! Friday is the first day of summer school and I can hardly wait to meet my 9 little ones. My two teaching partners and I are going to have the greatest summer with them at West Bolivar Elementary School.

PEACE OUT Y'ALL

ps people here actually just say y'all for everything.
pps they also say ma'am and sir and if you don't you get scolded because it's impolite. but ma'am doesn't sound cute in my minnesota accent. i'm working on it.
ppps i went to hey joes, this local bar/restaurant with leland and his roommate and the abide uncle who lives in Cleveland (exactly what I needed on day two and feeling homesick) and they had GREAT food! hummus and pita chips! WHO PREDICTED THAT? no one. also i went to walmart and bought nearly a gallon of spf 50 sunscreen. bought to get that bronze goddess look on....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE