Skip to main content

MISS FORSTER IS ON THE MOVE!

Alright team! The time has come again for me to leave this beautiful state of Minnesota and head off into another country! Okay, not really, but I'M MOVING TO MISSISSIPPI! WHAT.THE.HECK. IDON'TTHINKI'VETHOUGHTTHISTHROUGH.

Here are the basic facts:
On Saturday we will be partying hard at the Forster household so that I can see all of the people I love one last time before I leave. Dad got a keg of HONEYWEISS do you DON'T want to miss out. ((plus you love me?))

THEN, (and this is the best part) at 3:45AM on Sunday morning (June 9th) I depart the beautiful city of Golden Valley,  Minnesota and head to the airport for my 5:20AM flight to MEMPHIS TENNESSEE. There, I'll hop a nice little Teach for America shuttle for a ride to my home for the next five weeks: Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi.

This is the gist of what I know will be happening for those five weeks (though I've heard you really just can't be prepared):

-get up every day at the crack-o-dawn
-be Miss Forster all day (teaching summer school)
-spend the rest of the day training, learning and lesson-prepping (my FAVORITE activity, of course)
-hopefully go to yoga or go for runs or something to give my body a little bit of joy and peace
-sleep (good thing I've gotten used to getting zero sleep--THANK YOU, STUDENT TEACHING DURING THE LAST SEMESTER OF MY SENIOR YEAR, THANK YOU)

FAQS:
-no I will not have an income yet
-yes I will be living in a dorm for the first five weeks
-no I don't have housing figured out yet. that will come once i'm down there (fingers crossed)
-no I won't have a kitchen, they'll provide all of my meals for me for the next five weeks (yes, I might starve because I'm a vegetarian, I KNOW)
-I will move to the town I'll be teaching in (or near it) in Hollandale, Mississippi, sometime in the middle of July. That's when my parents will bring my car and the rest of my goodies so I can start decorating MYVERYOWNFIRSTGRADECLASSROOM(!!!) and moving into my house (again, fingers crossed).

As of now, however, the farthest ahead I can see is the blast of a time I'm going to have with my best friends and family on Saturday night. Join us!

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE