Skip to main content

Something to be learned from Italian men.

Okay so here's the deal. Italian men are unique. So unique. NOTHING like American men, can't even be compared. You can stereotype them and you can make generalizations about them, but the one thing that rings true, I think, for pretty much ALL Italian men, is that they aren't afraid to tell you how they feel.
They think you look good? No hesitation. They're going to tell you that you look good. If it makes them look like a fool, they don't care. I'm actually not even sure if they notice. It's not a weird thing to see a beautiful girl in the street and say "You look beautiful" or something along those lines in Italian. Yeah, it can be super creepy, especially if they mutter it under their breath or include some sort of kissing noise at you as you pass them on the street. But to a certain degree its something that can be appreciated. If you're in a bar, and a guy thinks he likes you, he's going to say it."But I'm in love with you!" has been heard more than once in a bar while I've been here. "You don't love me, you just met me. But thank you." What else do you say to that? And though it seems a little forward, especially to us Americans, its nice, you know? American men, on such a general basis, are so guarded and, like Englishmen (we studied this in my lit class..) they can be pretty bad at showing feelings. Italian men do NOT have this issue. In Italy, the land of love and romance, the men have no fears. Women are idolized. They want you to know they appreciate your beauty. They want to tell you they love you. They want to talk to you. If you have a boyfriend, or a husband, but another man loves you, the other man isn't going to let the fact that you're already in a relationship get in the way. He's going to court you, woo you, and tell you he loves you, even if he gets shut down OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. American men could take some advice from Italian men, in this regard. No, please don't start kissing at women in the street or muttering creepy things under your breath, but if a girl you like looks good, TELL HER. Don't worry about looking like a fool, because most likely she's going to appreciate it. If you like a girl, take a little tip from the Italian men and TELL HER. The persistence in these men is actually unbelievable. There are no fears of rejection, and I think that's something to be admired. They're going to fight for love, no matter the obstacles.

No, I did not date an Italian man while I was here.
Yes, it did drive me crazy getting hollered at and kissed by Italian men on a regular basis.
No, I didn't really enjoy being groped by strangers in the bar, or getting kissed by 40 year old men.
Yes, I'm going to miss the attention, and being told that I look good. Everybody appreciates a little confidence boost, right?
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations I had with the nice, not creepy, fun Italian men that I met while living here (they do exist).
But most of all, I will miss the fearless quest for love that every Italian man takes part in. Yes, I do think American men could learn from this. It's definitely been an eye-opening experience for me. The Italian sun burns for romance, this is true.
There's something to be learned from Italian men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE