Skip to main content

Hot Springs. Italians are funny.

So yesterday. Last minute, after we finished our finals, we were drinking wine and wandering our beautiful city. We got gelato, had pizza for lunch, rode the ferris wheel overlooking the valley, and then got invited to go to the hot springs. The HOT SPRINGS? Like, WHAT? I didn't even know we HAD those around here. Well, we do. And my roommate's friend's Italian boyfriend wanted to take us. So we get in the car, well three cars full, a bunch of American girls and Italian boys, and we headed out into the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE to go swimming in the hot springs. It was SPECTACULAR. It was like a natural hot tub, on the side of  mountain in Italy, with only the BEST of views.
Turns out some of the best experiences come from spontaneous decisions. I'm so glad I went.

Why Italians are funny:
You know how in Minnesota if you get out of a pool/hot tub, even if its freezing and in the winter, you just go barefoot in a towel until you're in the house/in the car/dried off? Well not in Italy. For the hot springs, we had packed our swim suits and a towel...that's it. These boys had packed special WATERPROOF SANDALS and ROBES. Because upon exiting the hot spring, when it was time to leave, they didn't want to walk barefoot and get their feet dirty or let their body be cold. So of course when we hop out of the water and wrap up in our towels, barefoot on the dirt road in the woods in Italy, they thought we were crazy. "American girls are crazy!" They said. And we asked why. They said, "Look at you, you aren't wearing shoes! You are going to pee in your bed because of that!"
EXCUSE ME? I'm going to do WHAT, because I'm not wearing shoes? How does that even have anything to do with anything?
"Seriously, you're going to be cold and get sick and pee in your bed because you're not wearing shoes!"
Still don't get it.
APPARENTLY, when you get a cold/get sick from being in the cold, you have to pee alot, or pee in the bed? I literally still don't understand. I don't get sick from standing barefoot in 50 degree weather, and I also don't pee the bed when I have a cold. So...
Italians are funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE