Skip to main content

Happy Halloween!

So Halloween isn't really a thing here....instead All Saints Day (November 1st) is a national holiday where everybody gets work and school off. Except the American students. So that's cool. Good thing we plan on celebrating Halloween in style tonight regardless. :)
Here's a little blog one of our professors sent us about Halloween/All Saints Day in Italy (kinda interesting!):
http://www.athomeintuscany.org/2009/10/20/ognissanti-in-tuscany/

Just got back from a 10 day backpacking trip around Europe: Portugal, Spain and Prague. So tired. Blogs about those trips to come soon...and lots of pictures of course!

PS....10 days out of Italy=NOT a good thing for my Italian language skills, which are minimal in the first place. This morning when I was basically a zombie leaving my apartment to go to school, I ran into my sweet older Italian neighbor lady and literally just stared at her because I couldn't remember how to say goodmorning in Italian. GOODMORNING. Like the first thing I learned how to say. The thing my professor says to me every morning, first thing. The thing EVERY grocier, baker, store-owner says when you walk into a shop any time before like 2pm, every day. BAAAH I felt stupid. I was running through it in my head like saying it in Spanish and thinking about how I just spent three days in the Czech Republic with absolutely no understanding of the language and I awkwardly stayed silent and running my brain until she finally said Buongiorno. And then I was still confused and mumbled buongiorno and smiled hoping that would make up for it and kept walking. BAAAAAAAAHHHH embarrassing. LANGGUUUAAAGGEEE BARRIERRSSSS

story of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Month Resources and Reflections

General Mental Health Awareness Resources (linked below): National Institute of Mental Health Mental Health America Brain and Behavior Research Foundation National Alliance on Mental Illness National Eating Disorders Association Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Donor Drive (in honor of Ryan P. Johnson) Myths v. Facts of OCD: International OCD Foundation

mood-o-meter

One of my main goals for my classroom this year is to teach my students how to communicate their emotions and use productive and healthy coping mechanisms. So, I introduce to Miss Forster's first grade class... ....DRUMROLL PLEASE..... The mood-o-meter!! Here's an example of a mood meter that I found online: Basically, here's how it works/how I want to use it. The colors can represent different types of feelings on the spectrum.  Blue: low energy/unpleasant=sad, depressed, sulky, tired, etc. Green: low energy/pleasant=happy, content, peaceful, calm, etc. Yellow: high energy/pleasant=excited, surprised, enthusiastic, etc. Red: high energy/unpleasant=angry, frustrated, annoyed, etc. In our classroom this year, we are going to start the year off by learning about this spectrum of emotions-->the mood meter. We'll discuss what the different colors represent, what someone looks like when they're feeling each emotion, what you feel like doing whe

werk ur body

My beautiful and wonderful friend Anna Ayers Looby sent me a link today that really got me thinking. Here's the link: http://sspw.dpi.wi.gov/sspw_physicaled Basically it gave me the flashing reminder that my students NEED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY in their daily lives. Everyone should have a total of 60 minutes of some sort of physical activity every single day. Since my students only get P.E. twice a week, most of them just want to eat their snack instead of run around at recess, and the rest of their 8 hour day is spent sitting....majority of those minutes depend on me. Now, when your school and state have a deathly fear of failing and standards, objectives, mastery, and test scores are at the core of everything you do, it's easy to forget about the importance of educating well-rounded children. If you'd asked me to add physical activity to my classroom during my first year of teaching, I probably would have started crying (ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME I CAN HARDLY GET ALL THE